(616) 608-4634

Are you going through a divorce and have imminent concerns that your spouse will remove the children from the United States, and refuse to return them?

If so, there are steps that you can take to prevent your spouse removing the children from the United States.

The first action is to have your family law attorney obtain an order from the court preventing removal of the children from the United States. Once you have obtained this order, you next should contact the U.S. Department of State and enroll your children in the Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP).

CPIAP allows parents who have "imminent concerns" about parental abduction to enroll their U.S. citizen children in CPIAP. CPIAP prevents the other parent from applying for, and obtaining a passport for the children without consent from the other parent. Note, this program is only for children that are U.S. citizens.

For details regarding this program see this site: Children's Passport Issuance Program