Parental Child Abduction


Are you going through a divorce and have imminent concerns that your spouse will remove the children from the United States, and refuse to return them? If so, there are steps that you can take to prevent your spouse removing the children from the United States.

The first action is to have your family law attorney obtain an order from the court preventing removal of the children from the United States. Once you have obtained this order, you next should contact the U.S. Department of State and enroll your children in the Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP).

CPIAP allows parents who have "imminent concerns" about parental abduction to enroll their U.S. citizen children in CPIAP. CPIAP prevents the other parent from applying for, and obtaining a passport for the children without consent from the other parent. Note, this program is only for children that are U.S. citizens.

For details regarding this program see this site:   Children's Passport Issuance Program

Laurie Schmitt of Schmitt Law, PLLC is a West Michigan family law attorney specializing in collaborative divorce as well as separation, divorce, child custody and support, paternity, and other family law litigation. She is licensed by Michigan State Bar and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, and has extensive advanced training in divorce mediation and collaborative divorce.

Contact Laurie at (616) 608-4634 for a confidential consultation.