After the consultation, many clients contact Schmitt Law, PLLC for a pre-filing strategy meeting. What is a pre-filing strategy meeting and how can it help you?
WHAT IS A PRE-FILING STRATEGY MEETING?
A pre-filing strategy meeting is more in depth than an initial consultation. Consultations are broader in nature, whereas pre-filing strategy meetings focus on specifics…what you should do to prepare for your divorce filing.
WHAT DO WE TALK ABOUT IN A PRE-FILING STRATEGY MEETING?
These conversations are designed to meet the individual needs of each client. We may discuss financial issues, how to protect your assets, and other topics of concern to the client.
Most of all, we talk about what matters most to you – what your greatest concerns are.
HOW CAN A PRE-FILING STRATEGY MEETING HELP YOU?
In a pre-filing strategy meeting, we will outline what you should be doing before the divorce filing, and how you can avoid pre-filing mistakes that may harm you later in your divorce. It’s better to start your divorce on the correct foot, than to pay the price in front of judge for making a bad decision before filing.
CAN I/SHOULD I?
Clients have many questions about what they can or should do before filing for a divorce. Many of these questions require more information than can be covered in an initial consultation. That is why a pre-filing strategy meeting is valuable.
The following are examples of questions presented to Schmitt Law, PLLC in a pre-filing strategy meeting.
Before filing the divorce …. “CAN I/SHOULD I”:
- Buy a new car?
- Withdraw money from retirement accounts?
- Change beneficiaries on life insurance policy?
- Remove your spouse from your health insurance policy?
- Sell real property and retain the proceeds?
- Sell personal property and retain the proceeds?
- Give personal property to friends and family?
- Continue using credits cards?
- Open new credit cards?
- Change employers, reduce, or increase my hours, or quit?
- Pay off debts that are solely in your name?
- Take out loans?
- Refinance the marital home?
- Take out a home equity loan?
- Do major renovations in the marital home?
- Clean out the house and garage – downsize the junk?
- Have a garage sale?
- Donate household items?
- Make changes to my tax withholding’s or retirement deductions?
- Purchase a new house?
- Move into an apartment?
- Move and take the children?
If you find yourself prepared to move forward with your divorce, and have concerns as listed above, a pre-filing strategy meeting may be valuable to you.
EXPERIENCED DIVORCE ATTORNEY
At Schmitt Law, PLLC, we are here for you each step of the way in your divorce. From planning your first steps, to approaching your separation, to helping you understand your rights, to signing the final documents. We can help you navigate the separation and divorce process. To get started today, book a consultation online or by calling Schmitt Law, PLLC at (616) 608-4634. Whenever you are ready, we are here for you.